- 4 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 plastic cup
- 1 piece of string
- 1 straw
- 1 saucepan
- 1 cup of water
- The night before you are ready to start the experiment, tie one end of the string around the straw and tie a knot in the other end of the string. Let this sit out for a day to dry up!
- You’re ready to start the experiment! With a parent’s help, boil the water in the saucepan and add the sugar into the boiling water. Stir the sugar into the water until it has fully dissolved. This will be your supersaturated sugar solution for your experiment.
- With a parent’s help, pour the sugar solution into your plastic cup.
- Carefully lower the string you hardened last night into the jars so that the plastic straw is balancing on top of the cup.
- Put the cup in a safe place, then wait for at least a week to see your sugar crystals grow!
- Once the crystals have formed, take the strings out of the cups and place them on a napkin or plate.